Proprietary Delivery Technologies
Unigene’s patented oral delivery technology and nasal delivery technology have been shown to effectively deliver therapeutically important peptides. Each of these platforms is protected by a strong patent portfolio with multiple U.S. patents, as well as European and worldwide counterparts..
Unigene’s oral drug delivery platform is the most clinically validated and advanced in the industry.
Oral Peptide Delivery
Peptides and proteins possess several inherent properties that limit oral bioavailability:
- Relatively large size and hydrophilic nature of peptides severely limit the absorption of these molecules in the GI tract
- Peptides are susceptible to degradation by enzymes in the stomach and intestine
Unigene’s technology has overcome these physiological barriers by several mechanisms resulting in excellent bioavailability.
- Enteric coating permits passage of the tablet through the stomach into the small intestine
- Novel excipients prevent proteolytic cleavage and enhance permeability of drug through the intestine into the blood stream
- Absolute bioavailability from 1% to greater than 20% compared to IV infusion